A wedding is the biggest and probably the most important day in every woman’s life. She has been dreaming of this day ever since she was a little girl. So her wedding day must be perfect in every aspect – the dress, the decorations, the theme, the food etc. Flowers are often the best option for decoration at a wedding. But keep in mind that organizing flowers on such a large scale is not that easy. So instead of dealing with the issue yourself, hire a florist to do the job for you – professionally.
Some people may not have any experience in this area at all and will require some guidance. After all, to make the wedding day perfect you need the right decorations and therefore the right kind of flowers that neither look too gaudy nor too dull. But before you start thinking about who to ask for help, remember the most reliable person is you. Following are the five most important things that you must consider when buying flowers for a wedding;
- The Internet provides an ocean of information and knowledge. You can sit in your bedroom and search online for various articles relevant to dealing with florists or getting flowers for events. This will definitely give you an idea about how to approach the problem. Do a little homework on your part before you go out to buy flowers for your wedding. You can also look into bridal and gardening magazines to see the different kinds of flowers that can be possibly used at your wedding. However, you need to understand that the choice is entirely yours; there is no right or wrong choice. It all depends on your preferences.
- Once you have an idea of the kinds of flowers that you may want at your wedding, next thing to do is choose a florist. The easiest way to choose a florist is to ask around from friends and family who have had any experiences with florists before. You can also visit various local florists. However, you can’t just pick out a florist randomly; there are certain things that you need to consider:
They must be experienced in decorating weddings. Ask them if they have a portfolio of their previous work, so you can get an idea about the style of the florist. Determine whether the staff is efficient enough to deal with any last minute changes or problems that may arise. They must be able to provide the flowers on time – on the day of the wedding. Any lapse can lead to disasters, something you don’t want to face on your wedding day. In short, the florist must be reliable and efficient.
- Now make an estimate of your budget. Some floral arrangements may not fall in your budget. Make a “must-have” list and a “wish-list” before going to your florist. When you visit them, talk to them about these lists and your budget. They will help you choose the flowers and arrangements that you can easily afford. However, it is important to be honest with your florist. If you can’t afford something, tell them clearly. Understandably, arranging a wedding can be very expensive, and you need to save money where ever you can.
- An important thing to consider is the color of the flowers that you choose. The colors should compliment your wedding dress and the theme of the wedding. Another thing you can keep in mind is the season. Non-seasonal flowers can be flown in but this will automatically increase their cost. So if you are on a tight budget, it is best to go for seasonal flowers. They come cheaper.
- Wedding flowers can be elaborate and simple, depending on your choice of course! You would definitely want your wedding to look unique, so that it seems as if this all has been created especially for you. Also the flowers and the arrangements must be such that they create the mood for the wedding. Nothing must look out-of-place. Consider where you want to put the flowers. For example, you can have a bridal arch or flowers at tables or a carpet of petals. Choose the flowers accordingly.
You can also consider hand-made art flowers like origami flowers, crafts flowers and beaded flowers. You and/or your friends can make these unique arrangements. But if that is not possible, see if your budget allows it and you can buy these arrangements online.
Agatha Johnson is a florist at Perthonline Florist. After working with several clients and dealing with their individual issues, she has written this article to help other brides who are under a lot of stress.